White Lily® Southern Cornbread
- Prep Time:
- 10 min
- Cook Time:
- 25 min
- Total Time:
- 40 min
- 8 servings
- 1 teaspoon Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
OR 1 teaspoon Array
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups White Lily® Enriched Self-Rising White Cornmeal Mix
OR 2 cups Array
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk or 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- HEAT oven to 425°F. Spoon shortening into 8-inch ovenproof skillet or 8-inch round or square baking pan. Place in oven to heat for about 5 minutes.
- WHISK egg in medium bowl. Stir in cornmeal mix, sugar, buttermilk and oil just until moistened (batter will be lumpy). Carefully tilt skillet to coat bottom with shortening. Pour batter into skillet.
- BAKE 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/8 of recipe), Calories 210 (Calories from Fat 80), Total Fat 9g (Saturated Fat 1.5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 30mg, Sodium 440mg, Total Carbohydrate 29g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 2g), Protein 6g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 15%, Iron 8%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Do not beat cornbread batter until smooth. Over-mixing will result in cornbread that is peaked on top with a tough, heavy texture.
For a crisp crust on basic cornbread or corn sticks, preheat a greased skillet or corn stick pan before filling with batter.