Shortcakes with Fresh Strawberries
- Prep Time:
- 15 min
- Cook Time:
- 19 min
- Total Time:
- 45 min
- 8 servings
- 2 cups White Lily® Enriched Unbleached Self-Rising Flour
- 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pint cold heavy cream (2 cups), divided
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, plus additional for garnish
- 4 cups sliced strawberries, sweetened to taste
- HEAT oven to 425°F. Combine flour and 3 tablespoons sugar in medium bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender or two knives until crumbs are the size of peas. Blend in 3/4 cup cream with fork until dough holds together.
- TURN dough onto lightly floured surface. Knead 4 to 5 times. Roll out to 3/4-inch thickness. Cut using floured 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter. Place on baking sheet. Reroll scraps to cut remaining shortcakes. Brush tops with 1 tablespoon cream. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar.
- BAKE 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack.
- BEAT remaining cream and powdered sugar in medium bowl with mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- SPLIT biscuits in half horizontally. Top bottom halves with strawberries and whipped cream. Place top halves over whipped cream. Sprinkle with additional powdered sugar, if desired.
Serving Size (1/8 of recipe), Calories 490 (Calories from Fat 300), Total Fat 34g (Saturated Fat 21g, Trans Fat 1g), Cholesterol 100mg, Sodium 460mg, Total Carbohydrate 44g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 19g), Protein 5g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 30%, Vitamin C 50%, Calcium 6%, Iron 10%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
To avoid tough, dry biscuits, do not add too much additional flour when kneading and rolling.
Self-rising flour is ideal for biscuit recipes because it ensures the correct amount of leavener is used, and that it's evenly distributed.