Shortcakes with Fresh Berries and Cream
- Prep Time:
- 15 min
- Cook Time:
- 12 min
- Total Time:
- 27 min
- 6 servings
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup half-and-half
- 2 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached Self-Rising Flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, chilled
- 3 cups sliced strawberries or whole raspberries, sweetened with 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
- HEAT oven to 425°F.
- WHISK egg and half-and-half in small bowl until blended. Combine flour and sugar in medium bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture is the size of peas. Add egg mixture gradually, adding only enough to moisten flour and hold dough together.
- TURN onto lightly floured surface. Knead gently 2 to 3 strokes. Pat or roll dough gently to 1/2 to 3/4-inch thickness.
- CUT using floured 2 1/2 to 3-inch biscuit cutter, leaving as little dough as possible between cuts. Gather remaining dough; reroll one time. Cut as described above. Discard scraps. Place biscuits 2 to 3 inches apart on ungreased baking sheet. Brush tops lightly with half-and-half or milk.
- BAKE 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- TOSS berries together in medium bowl. Split shortcakes in half; spoon fruit between layers. Replace top layer; spoon on additional fruit. Top with whipped cream. Garnish with fresh whole fruit.
Serving Size (1/6 of recipe), Calories 540 (Calories from Fat 290), Total Fat 33g (Saturated Fat 20g, Trans Fat 1g), Cholesterol 135mg, Sodium 600mg, Total Carbohydrate 58g (Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugars 23g), Protein 7g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 25%, Vitamin C 90%, Calcium 15%, Iron 10%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.