Scrambled Egg Biscuit Braid
- Prep Time:
- 20 min
- Cook Time:
- 25 min
- Total Time:
- 45 min
- 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 1/4 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached Self-Rising Flour
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
Fillings and Topping
- 3/4 cup diced ham or crumbled cooked bacon
- 3 tablespoons sliced green onions or chives
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- HEAT oven to 375°F.
- MELT 1 tablespoon butter in medium skillet on medium high heat. Beat eggs with fork or whisk in medium bowl. Stir in cheese and pepper. Pour into skillet. Scramble eggs just until no longer runny. Remove from heat. Set aside.
- PLACE flour in medium bowl. Cut in 6 tablespoons butter with pastry blender or 2 knives until crumbs are the size of small peas. Make a deep well in the center of flour mixture. Stir in buttermilk with a fork just until dough forms. If dry flour remains in bottom of bowl, add 1 more tablespoon buttermilk and stir. (All the flour may not be fully incorporated.)
- TURN mixture onto lightly floured surface. Press dough into a ball. Knead 7 to 10 times. Press or roll dough into a rectangle, about 1/2-inch thick.
- COAT baking sheet with no-stick cooking spray. Place dough on baking sheet. Roll out to a 12 x 10-inch rectangle. Gently lift sides of dough to loosen from pan. Spoon egg mixture lengthwise down center 1/3 of dough. Top with ham and green onions.
- CUT diagonal slits in dough 1 inch apart on each side of filling. Lift strips of dough up and diagonally over the filling, alternating sides and overlapping ends of strips, creating a braid.
- BAKE 22 to 25 minutes or just until light golden brown. Combine remaining 1 tablespoon butter, parsley and garlic salt in small bowl. Brush over warm braid. Cool on baking sheet on wire rack 10 minutes.
Serving Size (1/6), Calories 500 (Calories from Fat 270), Total Fat 30g (Saturated Fat 6g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 290mg, Sodium 640mg, Total Carbohydrate 38g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 2g), Protein 19g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 10%, Vitamin C 2%, Calcium 15%, Iron 20%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Knead biscuit dough gently, 5-6 times, on a clean, lightly floured pastry cloth, just until dough holds together and can be rolled out.
When making biscuits, make a well in the center of the flour mixture and use a fork to gently blend in the milk or buttermilk, being careful not to over-mix.