White Lily® Light & Fluffy Biscuits (All-Purpose Flour Recipe)
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- 22 min
- 12 biscuits
- 2 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- 3/4 cup buttermilk or 2/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- HEAT oven to 475°F.
- COMBINE flour, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Cut in shortening with pastry blender or two knives until crumbs are the size of peas. Blend in just enough buttermilk with fork until dough leaves sides of bowl.
- TURN dough onto lightly floured surface. Knead gently 5 to 6 times, just until smooth. Roll dough into a 7-inch circle that is 1/2- to 3/4-inch thick. Cut out 7 to 8 biscuits using a floured 2-inch biscuit cutter. Place on baking sheet, about 1-inch apart. (For softer biscuits, arrange so that edges almost touch.) Shape dough scraps into a ball. Pat out until 1/2-inch thick. Cut out additional biscuits.
- BAKE 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with butter, if desired.
- GARLIC CHEESE BISCUITS: STIR in 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese before adding buttermilk. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto baking sheet. Bake as directed above. Combine 1/4 cup melted butter and 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder. Brush warm biscuits with butter mixture.