Classic Red Velvet Cake
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- 2 hr 30 min
- 16 servings
RED VELVET CAKE
- Pillsbury™ Baking Spray with Flour
- 2 1/2 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached All Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons Dutch process or regular unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- 1 (1 oz.) bottle red food coloring
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 cup buttermilk
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon clear imitation vanilla extract or vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
oven to 350°F. Coat 3 (8-inch) round cake pans with baking spray. Stir together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in medium bowl.
sugar, butter and eggs in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. In a separate bowl, combine oil, food coloring, extract and vinegar. Add to creamed mixture; beat until well blended. Gradually add flour mixture and buttermilk, beating until blended.
evenly in prepared pans. Bake 23 to 26 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely.
cream cheese, butter and extract in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until blended. Gradually add powdered sugar until smooth. Beat on high speed 1 minute or until light and fluffy. Fill and frost cooled cake with frosting. Garnish sides of cake with pecans.