Chocolate Orange Passion Cake
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- 1 hr 50 min
- 16 servings
- Pillsbury™ Baking Spray with Flour
- 2 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh orange peel, from 2 oranges
- Boiling water
- Juice from one orange
CHOCOLATE ORANGE FROSTING
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1/4 teaspoon orange extract
- Mandarin orange slices
- Melted chocolate
- HEAT oven to 350°F. Coat three 8-inch or two 9-inch round pans or an 9 x 13 x 2-inch pan with flour no-stick cooking spray.
- COMBINE flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Add milk, oil, eggs, vanilla and orange peel. Beat two minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping sides of bowl frequently.
- ADD enough boiling water to orange juice to make 1 cup. Add to batter; stir until blended. (Batter will be thin.) Pour batter evenly into prepared pans.
- BAKE 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack 5 minutes before removing from pans.
- BEAT butter in medium bowl using an electric mixer. Gradually beat in half of powdered sugar. Beat about 5 minutes or until very light and fluffy. Beat in cream, remaining sugar, chocolate and orange extract until smooth and fluffy. Frost between layers and on top and sides of cake.
- GARNISH with mandarin orange slices dipped in melted chocolate if desired.