Braised Beef & Mushrooms with Herbed Pastry Crust
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- 4 hr
- 4 to 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- 2 tablespoons White Lily® All Purpose Wheat Flour & White Grape Seed Flour Blend
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless beef cubes for stew
- 2 strips uncooked bacon, chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can beef broth
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 (8 oz.) package fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups White Lily® All Purpose Wheat Flour & White Grape Seed Flour Blend
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut in small pieces
- 3 to 4 tablespoons ice water
- 1 egg, beaten
- HEAT oven to 325°F. Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Place flour blend in large plastic bag. Add beef cubes; shake to coat. Cook beef cubes in oil until well browned, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Transfer meat to bowl.
- COOK bacon in same pot over medium heat until crisp, scraping up browned bits, about 5 minutes. Add onions, garlic and bay leaf. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Return beef and juices to pot. Add beef broth and tomato sauce. Cover and bring to simmer.
- PLACE covered pot in oven. Cook 1 1/2 hours. If sauce appear thick, stir in 1/4 cup water. Stir in mushrooms. Cover; cook an additional 45 minutes or until beef is very tender. Season to taste, if desired.
- For Herbed Crust: STIR flour, salt and thyme in medium bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons ice water. Stir with fork. Add additional water, 1 tablespoon at a time, just until moist enough to hold together when squeezed into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap. Chill at least 30 minutes.
- SPOON beef mixture into 9 1/2-inch deep-dish pie plate. Increase oven temperature to 425°F. Roll out pastry on lightly floured surface to 11-inch circle. Place over beef mixture in pie plate. Trim edges. Crimp edges onto edge of pie plate. Brush crust with beaten egg. Place on baking sheet. Cut several small slits to vent steam. Bake 15 to 17 minutes or until pastry is golden brown.
- For a Decorative Touch: Re-roll pastry scraps and cut into decorative shapes. Place on baking sheet. Brush with beaten egg. Bake at 425°F until golden brown. Arrange on top of pastry crust before serving.