Fresh Summer Vegetables in Cornbread Bowl
- Prep Time:
- 15 min
- Cook Time:
- 30 min
- Total Time:
- 50 min
- 6 servings
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 2 cups White Lily® Enriched Self-Rising White Cornmeal Mix
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup zucchini, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 cup yellow squash, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 cup sliced button mushrooms
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dry basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tomato, cut into 8 wedges
- HEAT oven to 425°F. Spray a 5 1/2 cup oven-proof ring mold with no-stick cooking spray.
- COMBINE cornmeal mix, sugar, sage and mustard in large bowl.
- COMBINE milk, egg and oil in small bowl; add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened. Stir in onion and celery. Pour into prepared ring mold.
- BAKE 25 to 30 minutes. Prepare vegetables while corn bread is baking.
- HEAT butter in large skillet over medium-high heat until sizzling. Add all ingredients except tomatoes. Saute 4 minutes, stirring often. Add tomato wedges; cook 2 minutes, or until heated through.
- TURN cornbread onto serving plate. Spoon vegetable mixture into a bowl that fits in center of ring mold; place bowl in cornbread ring.
Serving Size (1/6 of recipe), Calories 380 (Calories from Fat 150), Total Fat 17g (Saturated Fat 4g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 50mg, Sodium 1080mg, Total Carbohydrate 50g (Dietary Fiber 5g, Sugars 7g), Protein 7g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 15%, Vitamin C 15%, Calcium 8%, Iron 15%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
For moist Southern cornbread with a golden-brown crust, use good cornmeal and create a creamy, pourable, pancake-like batter. Bake in preheated cast-iron cookware.
Do not beat cornbread batter until smooth. Over-mixing will result in cornbread that is peaked on top with a tough, heavy texture.