Buttermilk Hush Puppies with Onions and Bell Peppers
- Prep Time:
- 15 min
- Cook Time:
- 2 min
- Total Time:
- 30 min
- 24 servings
- 1 quart Crisco® Pure Peanut Oil
- 2 cups White Lily® Enriched Self-Rising White Cornmeal Mix
- 1/2 cup White Lily® Enriched Bleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (1/4 cup)
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped red pepper
- HEAT oil in deep fryer or very deep heavy pot to 365°F.
- COMBINE cornmeal mix, flour and baking soda in medium bowl.
- WHISK together egg, buttermilk, onion and bell pepper in small bowl. Add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
- Be sure oil is at correct temperature before adding batter. If you do not have a thermometer, you can test using a cube of bread. The bread will brown within a few seconds, without absorbing very much oil.
- DROP batter by rounded tablespoonfuls carefully into hot oil. Fry 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown, turning once.
- Batter will rise to surface when done.
- REMOVE hush puppies with metal tongs or metal slotted spoon; turn onto paper towels to drain.
- ALLOW oil to return to temperature before repeating with additional batter.
Serving Size (1/24), Calories 170 (Calories from Fat 130), Total Fat 15g (Saturated Fat 2g, Trans Fat 1g), Cholesterol 10mg, Sodium 210mg, Total Carbohydrate 10g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 1g), Protein 2g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 2%, Calcium 2%, Iron 10%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Pizza dough can be made ahead and stored in the refrigerator for 3 days or in the freezer for 1 month. Prebaked crusts can also be stored in the freezer.
If your muffins are flat or peaked on top, increase the oven temperature 25°F. If they're cracked or uneven on top, reduce the oven temperature 25°F.