- Prep Time:
- 1 hr 30 min
- Cook Time:
- 15 min
- Total Time:
- 4 hr 30 min
- 18 servings
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons nonfat dry milk
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 1/4 cups White Lily® Enriched Unbleached Bread Flour, divided
- 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons butter, melted
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- DISSOLVE yeast in milk mixed with warm water in large bowl. Add 1 egg and 1 cup flour. Mix until smooth. Cover with damp cloth or plastic wrap; let rise in warm place 2 hours.
- ADD 2 tablespoons sugar, salt, 2 eggs and remaining 1 1/4 cups flour; beat using electric mixer (dough will be stiff).
- ADD melted butter gradually; mix thoroughly using electric mixer (it may take 10 to 15 minutes to incorporate all the butter). Scrape down beaters and bowl frequently while mixing. Cover with damp cloth or plastic wrap; let rise in warm place 1 hour.
- TURN onto floured surface. Shape into rectangle; fold in thirds. Wrap in floured plastic wrap. Refrigerate, weighing down dough with a plate.
- Dough may be refrigerated from 30 minutes to 3 days or frozen at this step. (If frozen, allow dough to thaw completely before continuing with recipe.)
- DIVIDE dough into fourths. Divide three portions into 6 balls each. Reserve remaining portion for topknots.
- SPRAY muffin or brioche tins generously with no-stick cooking spray. Place balls in prepared tins; flatten slightly. Make a deep indentation or cut X in center of each.
- DIVIDE reserved dough into 18 small balls to be used as topknots. Insert each topknot into each indentation or X.
- SPRAY plastic wrap with no-stick cooking spray. Use to loosely cover dough; let rise in warm place until doubled in size, about 30 to 45 minutes.
- HEAT oven to 375ºF.
- MIX remaining 1 tablespoon sugar into beaten egg until sugar is dissolved. Brush risen brioches lightly with egg glaze.
- BAKE 12 to 15 minutes. Cover with aluminum foil if brioches brown too quickly. Serve warm.
Serving Size (1/18), Calories 150 (Calories from Fat 70), Total Fat 8g (Saturated Fat 0g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 65mg, Sodium 150mg, Total Carbohydrate 15g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 2g), Protein 4g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 2%, Iron 6%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Fill muffin cups 2/3 to 3/4 full for perfectly shaped muffins, or fill cups full for larger mushroom-shaped, bake-shop-style muffins.
When making pizza crusts, use 2 to 2-1/2 cups of bread flour (hard wheat) or 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 cups of all-purpose flour (soft wheat).