Autumn Apple Dumplings
- Prep Time:
- 1 hr 10 min
- Cook Time:
- 45 min
- Total Time:
- 2 hr
- 6 servings
- Crisco® Butter Flavor No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 3 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1 Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1 large egg yolk
- 9 tablespoons milk
- 6 Granny Smith apples (about 3 inches in diameter), peeled and cored
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1/3 cup sweetened, dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 cup orange juice
- Vanilla or vanilla-cinnamon ice cream
- HEAT oven to 425º F. Spray a 9 x 13 x 2-inch baking dish with no-stick cooking spray.
- COMBINE flour and salt in a medium bowl. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- BEAT egg yolk and milk in a small bowl. Add to flour mixture and stir until a soft dough forms. Divide dough into thirds. Combine two thirds of dough, wrap in plastic wrap and form into a disk. Wrap remaining third in plastic wrap and form into a disk. Refrigerate both disks for 30 minutes.
- COMBINE brown sugar, cinnamon, pecans, raisins and dried cranberries. Remove larger disk from refrigerator. Roll out dough into 14-inch square on lightly floured surface. Cut into four squares. Roll out remaining dough into 14 x 7-inch rectangle. Cut into two squares.
- PLACE one apple in center of each pastry square. Spoon brown sugar mixture into center of apples to completely fill the core. Moisten corners of each square with water. Bring two opposite corners of pastry up over apple and press together. Repeat with other corners. Press pastry seams together along sides of dumplings. Place dumplings in prepared baking dish.
- SPRINKLE remaining brown sugar mixture around dumplings. Add melted butter, apple juice and orange juice to dish to make syrup.
- BAKE 40 to 45 minutes or until apples are tender and pastry is golden brown. Spoon syrup over dumplings after removing them from the oven. Allow to cool 10 minutes and serve warm with vanilla or vanilla-cinnamon ice cream.
Serving Size (1/6 plus 1/3 c ice cream), Calories 1220 (Calories from Fat 580), Total Fat 65g (Saturated Fat 15g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 125mg, Sodium 450mg, Total Carbohydrate 150g (Dietary Fiber 8g, Sugars 91g), Protein 13g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 35%, Vitamin C 40%, Calcium 20%, Iron 20%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.